This spring over 70 students have registered for the Service Learning course and are looking for activities to serve within our communities. This is a substantial amount of students and we need your help minimizing students who are noncompliant and are unable to graduate.
As part of Northland’s graduation requirements, students pursuing an Associate level degree (A.A., A.A.S., A.S.) must complete eight (8) hours of service learning in the form of service to the community to be eligible for graduation. There are some exceptions to this requirement which include:
- Students who have earned Northland credits prior to fall 2017
- Students who are active or have completed military service
- Students who are eligible for reverse transfer
- Students completing an online program
- Students who are transferring a service learning course in from an accredited college or university
- Transfer students who need less than 24 credits (at the time of Northland enrollment) to earn their Northland associate degree
- Students who will graduate from an Associate level program while enrolled as a PSEO student
- Students enrolled in employer-sponsored programs (Polaris Manufacturing, Digi-Key U, etc.)
In addition to these exemptions, five programs are exempt from the service-learning requirement, as the experience has been embedded in a course within the program.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant (AAS)
- Physical Therapist Assistant (AAS)
- Nursing (AS)
- Sales, Marketing, and Management (A.A.S.)
- Surgical Technology (AAS)
Our goal is to help our students graduate on time, without conflict, gaining a competitive edge with future employers and schools, as well as gaining knowledge about your community and the importance of civic engagement.
If you have any questions about the program, please visit the Service Learning web site northlandcollege.edu/servicelearning or contact the Service Learning Coordinator at email@example.com.